The Empirical Studies of Conflict Project (ESOC) plans to hold its Annual Meeting September 9-10, 2021 at Stanford University, pending the lift of COVID-related travel restrictions. You are invited to submit a paper addressing this year’s theme:
9/11 in the Rearview Mirror
As always, ESOC welcomes any innovative paper on conflict. However, given that we expect to convene on the eve of the 20th anniversary of 9/11, this is an opportune time to look back and acknowledge how those attacks and their aftermath catalyzed and shaped conflict research. We are particularly interested in papers that explore how lessons from the 9/11-inspired policy and research agenda might inform the next 20 years. Such papers might:
- examine the political and social consequences of terrorist attacks (or similarly galvanizing events);
- draw lessons from the Long War for the new Era of Great Power Competition on topics such as how to foster post-conflict reconciliation or provide effective security force assistance;
- study how localized conflict played out during prior geopolitical eras; or
- analyze emerging technologies of conflict, along with lessons on how they might shape future wars, based on experience with past conflict innovations.
Our program committee: Eli Berman, Ethan Bueno de Mesquita, Cesi Cruz, Tarek Ghani, Guy Grossman, Maria Micaela Sviatschi
Please submit the following information online via Google form
- Paper title
- Author information
- Abstract (approximately 500 words) and link to paper (completed papers preferred)
- One sentence describing how your paper fits into this year’s theme
- Link to your webpage (optional)
Deadline for submission is Monday, April 19, 2021.
Notification of Acceptance: We will notify authors of selected papers by late-May. Requests for travel reimbursement will be offered to authors of accepted papers on a case-by-case basis, as funding allows.
Contact Information: If you have any questions about accessing the Google form, you may contact Kristen DeCaires Gall at firstname.lastname@example.org.